Study Abroad Aid

Get aid to study abroad

If you’re an undergraduate student planning to study abroad in a program that is sponsored by IU or IUPUI, you’re eligible for most of the same financial aid options (usually loans, grants, and scholarships) as if you were studying at IUPUI. In addition, the Study Abroad Office offers some scholarships.

To be eligible for aid, you must register for at least 6 credit hours for the term you’ll be studying abroad. You must have a current FAFSA on file and meet all other criteria such as maintaining satisfactory academic progress.

Financial aid won’t be disbursed until the start of the term in which you study abroad, so be prepared to pay some program costs in advance.

How to get started

There are three types of study abroad programs, and each has its own instructions for enrollment.

Not all aid will apply

Some financial aid won’t apply for overseas programs. For example, programs co-sponsored through IU (e.g., IES Abroad, Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE)) and external programs will not allow you to use the fee benefit, federal student aid awards, fee remissions, or assistance to a child of a disabled veteran. For those, you must be paying actual tuition costs at IUPUI, IUPUC, or another IU campus.

Interested in studying abroad?

Find a study abroad program